Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanks and No Thanks

It seems to me that every thanksgiving should have a time to remember what we want to do away with as much as what we are thankful for.  Perhaps this is the purpose of New Year's resolutions but what do we say 'no thanks' to?

I say no thanks to this economic recovery masquerading as "slow but steady".  If this is slow I would hate to see slower.  Yesterday the unemployment benefits for millions of Americans ran out because some in Congress think we are "coddling" the unemployed.  I know half a dozen people who are out of work and I can tell you that aren't feeling coddled by unemployment checks. They are desperately seeking work and barely surviving.

I say no thanks to pretending that climate change isn't a reality just because the party in power says so.  We are melting.  And we need to do something about that now.

I say no thanks to putting up with bullies, whether those we know personally or public figures who think they can call us ungrateful. The reality is that  most people want to do the right thing if they have the means.  In this troubled world, it is sometimes hard to remember the less fortunate. Still most of us try.

Today at the grocery store I saw a woman, while clearly not wealthy herself, gave an extra twenty dollars to the feed the hungry program at the check out.  She inspired me to give forty.

I still give thanks for the millions who, despite their own troubles give food, shelter and money to those in need this holiday season.  They are the real angels on earth, the true embodiment of grace.

With Grace and Grit,  John